Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Real Dilemma

I was reading a magazine today, the filmy kinds, and I came across an interview of Naseeruddin Shah. Along with other things he mentioned that it really irritates him when admirers/fans/the general fawning junta comes and meets him specially when he trying to grab a quite family moment, eating out with his children. In fact he goes on to say that he almost feels like punching the guy.
Unlike a lot of other people I can understand why he would want to avoid admiring groupies who will more often than not tell how they are his greatest fan. A man would want to switch off once in a while and he is entitled to that. And that brings me to my real dilemma, I mean if I ever came across him, face to face in a restaurant how will I resist the temptation to walk across to him and tell him that in fact I am indeed his greatest fan.
Having read that he hates it, it would really be unethical to still go and gush and hmm and haww and display my incredibly inarticulate groupie behavior. But then how will I not tell him that for me he is one of the finest actors that Indian cinema has seen. How will I not tell him that I loved Masoom, Sparsh, Monsoon Wedding, Mirch Masala, Katha, Jaane Bhi Do Yaroon, Junoon, Ijaazat, Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, Omkara, Ishqiya. Infact how he is a part of almost all of my favorite movies, how his vulnerability as the helpless father in Masoom and Monsoon Wedding touched a raw nerve. How his impeccable Urdu diction in Junoon, Mirza Ghalib made me fall in love with the language, how his throaty laughter in Katha made villainy cool, how I even loved him in Tridev. How I loved Waiting for Godot only for him, how I watched the play The Prophet alone. How I marveled at how he took a superlative book to a new high.
Now how can you not call this a real dilemma, the toss between being polite, cool, suave and grabbing the once in a lifetime opportunity of meeting your hero. Yes, this is a hypothetical dilemma but real nonetheless. But since he also said in the interview that he is never rude to such gushing fans, I will take my chances.

P.S: Why is this post in theblogonbooks, because sometimes the movies can be sheer poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment